July 2021 is Scouting’s next grand adventure, the 2021 National Jamboree. This is a gathering time for nearly 40,000 Scouts and Scouters showcasing everything that is great about Boy Scouts of America. Held every four years at the Summit Bechtel Reserve in southern West Virginia, the National Jamboree provides an amazing opportunity for participants and visitors alike to experience the best Scouting has to offer. Adventures include one of the longest zip line courses in North America, a world class skate park, ATV offerings, treetop canopy tours, rock climbing, shooting sports, all types of aquatics including white water rafting, stadium shows, and much, much more. The National Jamboree began in 1937 when 27,000 Scouts camped on the National Mall under the Washington Memorial. 2021 will be the 19th National Jamboree.
MID-IOWA COUNCIL DETAILS
For each National Jamboree, Mid-Iowa Council puts together a contingent to represent Scouting in Mid-Iowa Council. Our contingents consist of two to four units of Scouts and Venturers from throughout the 27 counties that our council serves. Each unit consists of 36 youth and 4 adult leaders with the exception of the Venturing unit which consists of 28 youth and 3 adult leaders. The other 8 youth and 1 adult leader will come from a foreign country, thus providing our Venturers with a true international experience. The 2021 Mid Iowa Contingent is scheduled to consist of two male troops, one female troop, and a venture crew.
The Mid-Iowa Council 2021 Jamboree adventure will consist of a 14-15 day trip which will include 4 intensive days of touring and 10 days at the National Jamboree. This will take place the last half of July 2021. Specific dates and details are still being worked out.
Besides actual Jamboree costs, there will be other costs related to this event. Mid-Iowa Council works very hard to keep the cost down to a minimum while still providing a once in a lifetime experience for all attendees. Some additional costs included in the council fee are:
- Bus transportation to and from the Summit in West Virginia
- Hotel fees during the tour portion of our adventure
- Security in each hotel
- Meals during the tour portion of the adventure
- Jamboree training, meetings and other events
- Jamboree gear including troop/crew specific gear (flags, unit and contingent patches, a jamboree hat, unit t-shirts, daypack, duffel bag and various other items)
- Admissions to all tour locations
The National Jamboree is open to all who are in good standing with the council and local troop/crew on a first-come first-serve basis. Qualifications to attend the National Jamboree include:
- Registered member of a Scout Troop and has completed 6th grade or will be at least 12 years old, but has not yet reached their 18th birthday, by the end of the Jamboree and is at least a First Class Scout –OR-
- Registered member of a Venture Crew
- lives and abide by the Scout Oath and Law
- Abide by the Council’s Jamboree Code of Conduct
Each youth participant will be placed into an appropriate troop/crew and will be put within a patrol within that troop/crew. Home unit leaders, parents, participants, and Jamboree adult leaders will all be given the opportunity to provide input as to troop/crew makeup. Each Contingent member will be expected to participate in and have the following:
- Troop/Crew meetings prior to the Jamboree
- Attend all contingent meetings
- Attend an overnight pre-jamboree training encampment
- Have completed a detailed National Jamboree Medical form and physical by a licensed physician after July 2020 but prior to July 2021
- Have fees paid in accordance with the fee schedule established by the Mid-Iowa Council
- Have all fees paid in full no later than March 1, 2021
PRICING AND REGISTRATION
As of February 2019, pricing for the 2021 Mid-Iowa Council Contingent has not yet been confirmed. The estimated Jamboree cost including the Jamboree and the touring portion is $2,200 to $2,500 (this is only an estimate and is subject to change after National announces the 2021 costs, and tour details are developed). The contingent fees include the National Jamboree fee, fees noted above and other costs that may arise. Out of pocket expenses may include, but not limited to, additional uniforms, patches for trading at the National Jamboree and spending money.
Youth registration will open May 1, 2019. Watch for more details.
WE NEED YOU AS A 2021 JAMBOREE LEADER!!!
Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Crew Advisors and Associate Advisors
The 2021 National Scout Jamboree will once again be held at the new high-adventure base for the BSA in West Virginia called The Summit. This exciting Scouting event will be held in July 2021. Although July of 2021 may look to be in the distant future, important planning steps need to be taken, in order to prepare for this large-scale event.
Out of our entire council only 15 adult leaders and up to 4 alternates will be chosen to guide, inspire, and mentor our troops and crew to and from this once-in-a-lifetime event! If you are a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America and will be at least 18 by July 2021 you are eligible to be considered as a leader for our troops and crew. Currently we anticipate taking at least two male troops, one female troop, and ¾ of a venture crew.
If you are interested in interviewing for an adult leader position on the Mid-Iowa Council Jamboree Contingent, please submit a one-page resume which needs to include:
• Your Scouting background
• Professional history
• Additional volunteer efforts you may have
• A short paragraph explaining why you would like to be a Jamboree leader
Please note that selection as a Jamboree adult leader will entail the following responsibilities:
• Required attendance of planning meetings in advance of the Jamboree
• Full participation in a pre-Jamboree Shakedown event to be held during June of 2021
• Recruitment of Scouts and Crew members to fill our jamboree troops and crew
• Participation in the entire Mid-Iowa Contingent Jamboree tour which will begin approximately July 13, 2021 and will run through July 27, 2021
The deadline to submit resumes is: Thursday, February 28, 2019. Resumes should be emailed to the address below. Interviews will take place during March 2019 at the Maytag Scout Center. If you have any questions about these positions please contact Alan Strohmaier, Jamboree Committee Chairman at: Alan.firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamboree Adult Leadership Resumes should be sent electronically to: Alan Strohmaier, at Alan.email@example.com
|Leadership Letter||WE NEED YOU AS A 2021 JAMBOREE LEADER!!! Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Crew Advisors and Associate Advisors||Download|